THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - LE
(Anthony Harvey, 1971)
Release date: 27 February 2023
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK premiere)
The stellar duo of George C Scott (The Day of the Dolphin) and Joanne Woodward (The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds) headline They Might Be Giants, an eccentric and touching comedy.
Grief-stricken widower Justin Playfair begins to believe he is Sherlock Holmes. Briefly institutionalised, he teams up with his doctor – coincidentally named Watson – and, together, they follow a string of clues across New York City as they search for their elusive arch-enemy, Moriarty...
Based on a play by award-winning writer James Goldman (The Lion in Winter, Robin and Marian) and directed by Anthony Harvey (Dutchman), They Might Be Giants is an innovative reworking of Don Quixote, and is presented here in two variant cuts.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Two presentations of the film: the original US theatrical cut (92 mins); and the UK theatrical cut (87 mins)
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with director Anthony Harvey and film preservationist Robert A Harris (2000)
- Audio commentary with writers and film experts Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman (2023)
- Madness… It’s Beautiful (1971, 8 mins): archival promotional documentary
- A Study in Sherlock (2023, 27 mins): Kim Newman, critic and author of Moriarty: The Hound of the D’Urbervilles, discusses the many screen adaptations and interpretations of the famous fictional detective
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet featuring a new essay by Chloe Walker, an account of Anthony Harvey’s career as actor, editor, and director, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and full film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies for the UK
BBFC cert: PG