THE PHANTOM OF THE MONASTERY (EL FANTASMA DEL CONVENTO) - LE [US]
(Fernando de Fuentes, 1934)
Release date: 22 March 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)
Made in the wake of La Llorona’s success and directed with flair by Fernando de Fuentes (regarded as one of the masters of early Mexican cinema), The Phantom of the Monastery (El fantasma del convento) tells the macabre tale of a troupe of hikers who become lost in a forest and take refuge in a haunted monastery. There, they encounter shape-shifting shadows, ominous sealed doorways, and a cellar crowded with coffins...
An expressionistic Gothic triumph which has tragically languished in obscurity outside of Mexico, The Phantom of the Monastery has now been lovingly restored and is presented on Blu-ray at long last in a world debut edition, along with a selection of illuminating extras.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New 4K restoration from the original negative by the UCLA Film & Television Archive in collaboration with the Film Foundation’s World Cinema Project
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with genre-film experts, critics and authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman (2022)
- The Devil in the Detail (2022, 18 mins): Abraham Castillo Flores, head programmer of Mexico’s Mórbido Film Fest, considers the impact of this early horror classic
- Optional English translation subtitles
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 36-page booklet with a new essay by Maricruz Castro-Ricalde, screenwriter Juan Bustillo Oro on the making of The Phantom of the Monastery, an archival production report, a look at the film’s original promotion, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Jan-Christopher Horak of the UCLA Film & Television Archive on the restoration, and film credits
- World premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 4,000 copies for the UK and US