THE MAD MAGICIAN - LE
STANDARD EDITIONS ARE HERE.
(John Brahm, 1954)
Release date: 30 March 2020 (OOP date: 1 November 2021)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)
Made shortly after the box-office success of House of Wax, The Mad Magician returns Vincent Price to the world of three-dimensional horror. He plays Don Gallico, the creator of elaborate illusions for stage magicians, who seeks their fame… and will turn to murder to achieve it!
Directed by John Brahm (The Undying Monster), The Mad Magician is presented in two- and three-dimensions, and is accompanied by a pair of 3D comedy shorts by the Three Stooges.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- 2K restoration
- 2D and 3D presentations
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with film historians Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby (2020)
- Three-Dimensional Magic (2020, 15 mins): appreciation of The Mad Magician and the 3D filmmaking boom of the 1950s by cinematographer Frank Passingham (Kubo and the Two Strings) and archivist Tom Vincent, presented in 3D and 2D
- Super 8 versions (16 mins, sound; and 7 mins, silent): two cut-down home cinema presentations in anaglyphic 3D
- Two short films starring the Three Stooges: Spooks! (1953) and Pardon My Backfire (1953), presented in 3D and 2D
- Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
- Original theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, compatible in 3D and 2D
- Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Kat Ellinger, a look at the career of producer Bryan Foy, an archival interview with director John Brahm by David Del Valle, a guide to the promotional campaign, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Jeff Billington on the Three Stooges’ 3D shorts, and film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies
BBFC cert: 12