THE LEGACY - LE
Release date: 29 July 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition
Written by the late, great Jimmy Sangster (The Revenge of Frankenstein, Taste of Fear), this supernatural riff on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None is a gruesome, hugely entertaining chiller.
Two American architects (real-life couple Katharine Ross and Sam Elliott, who met on the set of this film) are holidaying in England and find themselves trapped at a country mansion where the various guests become victims in a series of unexplained and increasingly violent deaths.
Director Richard Marquand (Return of the Jedi, Jagged Edge), making his feature-film directing debut, deftly balances horror and grisly black humour. The film also boasts sumptuous photography by the great Dick Bush and Alan Hume, a wonderfully eccentric score by Michael J Lewis and a superb supporting cast which includes Charles Gray, Margaret Tyzack, Ian Hogg, John Standing and The Who’s Roger Daltrey.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
Two presentations of the film: the US theatrical cut, presented in widescreen from a High Definition master (100 mins); the UK theatrical cut, presented open matte from a Standard Definition master
- Original stereo audio
- New and exclusive audio commentary with Kevin Lyons, editor of The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Film and Television
- An Editing Legacy (2015, 14 mins): award-winning editor and second unit director Anne V Coates recalls her work on the film
- The Make-up Effects of ‘The Legacy’ (2015, 11 mins): Robin Grantham discusses his specialist make-up creations for the film
- Ashes and Crashes (2019, 4 mins): interview with second unit director Joe Marks
- An Extended Legacy (2019, 11 mins): an analysis of the differences between the US and UK cuts
- Between the Anvil and the Hammer (1973, 27 mins): The Legacy director Richard Marquand’s acclaimed documentary short film, made for the Central Office of Information, about the Liverpool police force
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Julian Upton, an archival location report, Jimmy Sangster on The Legacy, extracts from the novelisation, an overview of critical responses, an introduction to Between the Anvil and the Hammer, and film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies
BBFC cert: 18