THE GARMENT JUNGLE - BD
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
(Vincent Sherman, 1957)
Release date: 19 September 2022
Standard Edition Blu-ray
Kerwin Matthews (5 Against the House) and J Lee Cobb (The Family Secret) star in a film noir exposé of murder and corruption in the fashion world.
When a Korean war veteran takes a job at his father’s fashion business, he finds they are paying the mob to shut out the union. When pro-union employees begin getting murdered, he decides to take on the gangsters.
Based on true stories about mob involvement in the garment industry, The Garment Jungle stands as a pro-union response to On the Waterfront, and is no less tough and controversial than that film – original director Robert Aldrich (Kiss Me Deadly) was fired for his refusal to compromise, with Vincent Sherman (Affair in Trinidad) stepping in to complete production.
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- 2K restoration
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with film historian Kevin Lyons (2020)
- It’s a Jungle Out There (2007, 20 mins): archival interview with actor Robert Loggia, conducted by Alan K Rode of the Film Noir Foundation following a screening of The Garment Jungle
- Law of the Jungle (2020, 15 mins): writer and film programmer Tony Rayns discusses Robert Aldrich and The Garment Jungle
- Rip, Sew and Stitch (1953, 17 mins): comedy starring the Three Stooges, in which the trio play tailors who find themselves caught up in criminal activities
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: publicity and promotional material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
BBFC cert: 12