THE CAMP ON BLOOD ISLAND - BD
THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY, AND THAT THE ITEM WILL BE DISPATCHED JUST BEFORE THE LISTED RELEASE DATE.
SHOULD YOU ORDER ANY OF THE ALREADY RELEASED ITEMS FROM OUR CATALOGUE AT THE SAME TIME AS THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM, PLEASE NOTE THAT YOUR PURCHASES WILL ALL BE SHIPPED TOGETHER WHEN THIS PRE-ORDER ITEM BECOMES AVAILABLE.
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
(Val Guest, 1958)
Release date: 21 June 2021
Standard Edition Blu-ray
One of Hammer's most controversial features, Val Guest’s The Camp on Blood Island was a huge box-office hit, despite drawing the wrath of critics who accused the film of sensationalising and exploiting the sufferings of soldiers and civilians imprisoned and abused by the Japanese during the Second World War. Certainly, the film’s brutal representation of life for Allied captives in a Malayan prisoner-of-war camp is unusually grim and graphic for the time, but is buoyed by Guest’s sharp and naturalistic direction, and a terrific cast is headed by André Morell (Cash on Demand, Ben-Hur), Carl Möhner (Rififi) and the late, great Hammer icon Barbara Shelley (The Gorgon, The Shadow of the Cat).
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with Hammer icon Barbara Shelley and horror novelist Stephen Laws
The Brutal Truth: Inside ‘The Camp on Blood Island’ (2018, 29 mins): documentary written and directed by Hammer expert Marcus Hearn, narrated by Claire Louise Amias, and featuring film historians Alan Barnes and Jonathan Rigby
Hammer’s Women: Mary Merrall (2018, 11 mins): Diabolique magazine’s editor-in-chief Kat Ellinger explores the life and career of the prolific English film, stage and television actress
- From Light to Dark (2018, 18 mins): Steve Chibnall, author of British Horror Cinema, takes a look at Val Guest’s career and the making of The Camp on Blood Island
- Return to Blood Island (2018, 4 mins): interview with the film’s script supervisor Renée Glynne
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
BBFC cert: 15