MAD DOG MORGAN - LE
STANDARD EDITIONS ARE HERE.
(Philippe Mora, 1976)
Release date: 21 March 2022 (UK edition OOP date: 7 April 2022)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)
Based on the true story of Dan Morgan – the infamous Australian outlaw once described as ‘the most bloodthirsty ruffian that ever took to the bush’ – Mad Dog Morgan provides the perfect showcase for the unique star quality of Dennis Hopper (Night Tide, The Last Movie).
After witnessing a bloody massacre of Chinese workers on Australia’s goldfields, Morgan turns to a life of crime, becoming a bushranger and the scourge of the vicious authorities – and, ultimately, a local legend – leaving a bloody legacy in his wake.
Nominated for two Australian Film Institute Awards, including one for director Philippe Mora (The Beast Within), Mad Dog Morgan is a brutal and uncompromising slice of Ozploitation.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New restoration from a 4K scan of the interpositive by Powerhouse Films
- Two presentations of the film: Mad Dog Morgan, the 103-minute director’s cut; and Mad Dog, the 95-minute UK/US theatrical cut
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with writer-director Philippe Mora and film critic Jake Wilson (2019)
- Audio commentary with writer-director Philippe Mora (2009)
- To Shoot a Mad Dog (1976, 25 mins): behind-the-scenes documentary featuring interview footage with actor Dennis Hopper, produced and directed by David Elfick
- Hopping Mad (2019, 34 mins): Mora reflects on the film’s production and working with Hopper
- That’s Our Mad Dog: A Conversation with Dennis Hopper & Philippe Mora (2008, 29 mins): the legendary actor looks back at his experience of making the film
- ‘Not Quite Hollywood’ Interview Excerpts (2008, 67 mins): extensive selection of outtakes from Mark Hartley’s acclaimed documentary on Australian cinema, featuring Mora, producer Jeremy Thomas, camera operator John Seale, and actors Jack Thompson, Roger Ward and Graeme Blundell
- Interview with Mike Molloy (2009, 8 mins): the director of photography in discussion with Mora
- Interview with Richard Brennan (2009, 6 mins): the associate producer in conversation with Mora
- Radio Interview with Philippe Mora (1976, 15 mins)
- Mad Country: Shooting Locations Revisited (2019) with optional audio commentary by Mora
- Archival Intro/Outro with Philippe Mora (2009, 8 mins)
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- Production diary gallery
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Tara Judah, Philippe Mora’s pre-production notes on Mad Dog Morgan, archival interview with Mora, archival article by Mora on the making of the film, Jeremy Thomas on Mad Dog Morgan, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
- Limited edition exclusive double-sided poster
- UK/US premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 4,000 individually numbered units for the UK and US
BBFC cert: 15