LA LLORONA - LE
STANDARD EDITIONS ARE HERE.
(Ramón Peón, 1933)
Release date: 21 March 2022 (UK edition OOP date: 8 October 2022)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (World Blu-ray premiere)
An early horror classic drawn from Mexico’s rich tradition of folklore, La Llorona recounts the chilling tale of the ‘wailing woman’ who kills herself and her child before returning to haunt the living.
Expressionistic, lyrical and atmospheric, Ramón Peón’s film draws on the influence of Universal Pictures’ contemporaneous horror cycle and incorporates elements of period melodrama and romance. This landmark production in the evolution of Mexican cinema has been newly restored from the only surviving film elements, and is presented here with a selection of essential extras.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- New 2K restoration from the only surviving film element by the Cinema Preservation Alliance
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with genre-film experts, critics and authors Stephen Jones and Kim Newman (2022)
- ‘La Llorona’: Ghosts of the Past (2021, 17 mins): documentary by Viviana García Besné, the producer’s great granddaughter, relaying a personal history of the film
- Transcending Time (2022, 18 mins): Abraham Castillo Flores, head programmer of Mexico’s Mórbido Film Fest, explores the myth and the film
- Lunas y estrellas (2022, 2 mins): short compilation of the source print’s distinctive cue marks, which were removed during the restoration
- Optional English translation subtitles
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 40-page booklet with a new essay by Emily Masincup, an archival article on the legend of La Llorona, Valeria Villegas Lindvall on the many cinematic interpretations of La Llorona, an archival newspaper report on the film’s premiere, an overview of contemporary critical responses, Peter Conheim on the restoration of La Llorona, and film credits
- World premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 4,000 copies for the UK and US
BBFC cert: 12