THE LINEUP - BD
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
(Don Siegel, 1958)
Release date: 19 September 2022
Standard Edition Blu-ray
Don Siegel (Madigan) directs The Lineup, a brutal film noir loosely based on the radio and television series of the same name.
Beginning as a straightforward police procedural, the film shifts into much darker territory as Julian and Dancer, two sociopathic gangsters played by Robert Keith (The Wild One) and Eli Wallach (The People Next Door), must retrieve a parcel of heroin that has ended up in the possession of unwitting tourists.
With a screenplay by Stirling Silliphant (Murphy’s War), The Lineup’s influence stretches from Bob Dylan, who quoted its dialogue in ‘Absolutely Sweet Marie’, to Quentin Tarantino, whose erudite gangsters bear a close resemblance to Julian and Dancer.
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with author James Ellroy and the Film Noir Foundation’s Eddie Muller (2009)
- Audio commentary with film historian David Del Valle and author and screenwriter C Courtney Joyner (2020)
- The Influence of Noir (2009, 7 mins): appreciation by filmmaker Christopher Nolan
- The Streets of San Francisco (2020, 7 mins): video essay guide to the locations of The Lineup
- Three episodes of The Lineup radio series: ‘The Candy Store Murder’ (1950, 30 mins), written by Blake Edwards; ‘The Case of Frankie and Joyce’ (1951, 31 mins); and ‘The Harrowing Haggada Handball Case’ (1951, 26 mins), written by Edwards and Richard Quine
- Tricky Dicks (1953, 16 mins): comedy starring the Three Stooges, in which the trio send up the police procedural
- Original theatrical trailer
- Trailer commentary: short appreciation by A History of Violence screenwriter Josh Olson
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity materials
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
BBFC cert: 12