THE LEGACY - BD
(Richard Marquand, 1978)
Release date: 16 November 2020
Standard Edition Blu-ray
Written by the late, great Jimmy Sangster (The Revenge of Frankenstein, Taste of Fear), this supernatural riff on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None is a gruesome, hugely entertaining chiller.
Two American architects (real-life couple Katharine Ross and Sam Elliott, who met on the set of this film) are holidaying in England and find themselves trapped at a country mansion where the various guests become victims in a series of unexplained and increasingly violent deaths.
Director Richard Marquand (Return of the Jedi, Jagged Edge), making his feature-film directing debut, deftly balances horror and grisly black humour. The film also boasts sumptuous photography by the great Dick Bush and Alan Hume, a wonderfully eccentric score by Michael J Lewis and a superb supporting cast which includes Charles Gray, Margaret Tyzack, Ian Hogg, John Standing and The Who’s Roger Daltrey.
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
Two presentations of the film: the US theatrical cut, presented in widescreen from a High Definition master (100 mins); the UK theatrical cut, presented open matte from a Standard Definition master
- Original stereo audio
- New and exclusive audio commentary with Kevin Lyons, editor of The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Film and Television
- An Editing Legacy (2015, 14 mins): award-winning editor and second unit director Anne V Coates recalls her work on the film
- The Make-up Effects of ‘The Legacy’ (2015, 11 mins): Robin Grantham discusses his specialist make-up creations for the film
- Ashes and Crashes (2019, 4 mins): interview with second unit director Joe Marks
- An Extended Legacy (2019, 11 mins): an analysis of the differences between the US and UK cuts
- Between the Anvil and the Hammer (1973, 27 mins): The Legacy director Richard Marquand’s acclaimed documentary short film, made for the Central Office of Information, about the Liverpool police force
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional and publicity material
- New English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
BBFC cert: 18