CORRUPTION - LE
THIS ITEM WAS A LIMITED EDITION AND IS NOW OUT-OF-PRINT.
STANDARD EDITIONS ARE HERE.
(Robert Hartford-Davis, 1968)
Release date: 30 August 2021 (OOP date: 8 October 2022)
Limited Edition Blu-ray (UK Blu-ray premiere)
In the 1960s, director Robert Hartford-Davis (The Black Torment, The Fiend) teamed up with producer/cameraman Peter Newbrook (The Asphyx) to make a series of low-budget films capitalising on the cinematic crazes of the day. In 1968, the duo stridently ventured into the surgical horror subgenre with Corruption, a grim update of Eyes Without a Face, transposed into the scenic south-coast seaside town of Seaford, via Swinging Sixties London.
In a surprising performance, Peter Cushing (Captain Clegg, The Revenge of Frankenstein) stars as a high-class plastic surgeon who is driven to murder as part of a demented quest to rebuild the decaying visage of his fashion model wife (Sue Lloyd, The Ipcress File), who has been severely scarred at a party.
A film that pushed the envelope of gore and sleaze in its era, Corruption is presented on home video for the first time in the UK.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- 2K restoration from the original negative
- Three feature presentations: the censored UK theatrical cut (92 mins), the US theatrical cut (92 mins), and the graphic continental version (91 mins)
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with Peter Cushing biographer David Miller and English Gothic author Jonathan Rigby for the US cut and continental version (2013)
- The BEHP Interview with Peter Newbrook (1995, 92 mins): archival audio recording of the producer and cameraman in a career-spanning conversation with Alan Lawson and Roy Fowler, made as part of the British Entertainment History Project
- The Guardian Interview with Peter Cushing (1986, 72 mins): archival audio recording of the legendary actor in conversation with David Castell at the National Film Theatre, London
- The Reluctant Beatnik (2021, 15 mins): actor Phillip Manikum revisits his time on the film
- What Ever Happened to Wendy Varnals? (2013, 16 mins): the actor and TV host remembers playing Terry
- Archival interview with actor Billy Murray (2012, 14 mins)
- Archival interview with actor Jan Waters (2012, 9 mins)
- Stephen Laws Introduces ‘Corruption’ (2021, 7 mins): appreciation by the acclaimed horror author
- Alternative Laser Killer opening titles (3 mins)
- Isolated music & effects track
- Original UK theatrical trailer
- Original US theatrical trailer
- Edgar Wright trailer commentary (2013, 3 mins): short critical appreciation
- TV spots
- Radio spots
- Image galleries: production stills and promotional material
- Director’s shooting script gallery
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive 80-page book with a new essay by Laura Mayne, a history of production company Titan International Films, an archival interview with producer and cinematographer Peter Newbrook, a look at the film’s music, cast and publicity, excerpts from the novelisation, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and film credits
- Limited edition exclusive set of five replica production stills
- UK premiere on any home video format
- Limited edition of 5,000 individually numbered units
BBFC cert: 18