A DAY IN THE DEATH OF JOE EGG - LE
THIS ITEM WAS A LIMITED EDITION AND IS NOW OUT-OF-PRINT.
STANDARD EDITIONS ARE HERE.
(Peter Medak, 1972)
Release date: 28 August 2017 (OOP date: 24 Feb 2022)
Limited Dual Format Edition (Blu-ray premiere)
Playwright Peter Nichols adapted his own blackly comic 1967 Tony Award-winning play for this confrontational film version by director Peter Medak. Alan Bates and Janet Suzman play a married couple struggling to come to terms with their daughter's disability using comedy and cruelty to dispel the desperation of their situation. This uncomfortable, provocative film about marriage, children and life choices is startlingly funny as well as deeply moving.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with director Peter Medak and film historian Sam Dunn
• Remembering the Day: Janet Suzman on 'Joe Egg' (2017, 18 mins): a new interview with the acclaimed actor
• From Stage to Screen: Peter Nichols on 'Joe Egg' (2017, 20 mins): a new interview with the celebrated playwright
• Original theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Marcus Hearn, Peter Nichols on the making of the film, and a look at the original Citizens Theatre stage production
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies
BBFC cert: 15