BULLFIGHTER AND THE LADY - LE
PLEASE PLACE A SEPARATE ORDER FOR PRE-ORDERS IF YOU WISH TO HAVE IN-STOCK ITEMS SHIPPED SOONER.
(Budd Boetticher, 1951)
Release date: 18 July 2022
Limited Edition Blu-ray
American sportsman Johnny Regan (Robert Stack, Written on the Wind) goes to a bullfight while holidaying in Mexico and witnesses the great matador Manolo Estrada (Gilbert Roland, She Done Him Wrong) in action. The two men meet later that evening, and Johnny becomes entranced by Anita (Joy Page, Casablanca), a friend of Manolo’s. Impressed by the world of bullfighting, and seeking to impress Anita, Johnny becomes Manolo's pupil so that he, too, may become a champion torero.
Produced by John Wayne, and based in part on Budd Boetticher’s experiences as a novice bullfighter, Bullfighter and the Lady was initially released in a shorter 87-minute cut, reputedly edited by John Ford. In 1986, with the aid of Boetticher and Stack, the complete 124-minute version was restored, revealing the film to be a true masterpiece. Both cuts are presented on this edition, alongside Boetticher’s final work as a director, the 1985 documentary My Kingdom For… which is part autobiography, part history of the bullfighting art of rejoneo.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition presentation
- Two presentations of the film: the complete 124-minute version, restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive; and the original 87-minute theatrical cut
- Original mono audio
- Audio commentary with critics and authors Glenn Kenny and Farran Smith Nehme (2022)
- My Kingdom For… (1985): Boetticher’s final film as director, a partly autobiographical documentary about bullfighting, featuring Bullfighter and the Lady actor Robert Stack
- Interview with Mary Boetticher (2022)
- An Evening with Budd Boetticher (2001): audio recording of the great director in conversation with film preservationist Robert Gitt
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Limited edition booklet featuring a new essay by Matthew Thrift, an archival letter from Budd Boetticher discussing his love of bullfighting, archival profiles of Katy Jurado, an overview of contemporary critical responses, new writing on My Kingdom For…, and full film credits
- UK premiere on Blu-ray
- Limited edition of 3,000 copies for the UK
All extras subject to change
BBFC cert: PG