BIRDY - LE
(Alan Parker, 1984)
Release date: 28 October 2019
Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premiere)
Based on the acclaimed, ‘unfilmable’ novel by William Wharton, about a boy who dreams of flying, Alan Parker’s elliptical, ethereal film is just as vividly poetic as its source.
Birdy is story of two unlikely boyhood friends, the confident and popular Al (Nicolas Cage – Wild at Heart, Leaving Las Vegas) and Birdy (Matthew Modine – Full Metal Jacket, Stranger Things), awkward, withdrawn, and obsessed with birds. The advent of the war in Vietnam shatters their youth, and they both return irrevocably changed – one physically traumatised, the other emotionally fractured.
This unique and affecting film from director Alan Parker (Midnight Express, Angel Heart), features skilful, highly committed central performances from young stars Modine and Cage (who allegedly had teeth removed for his gruelling role), and a wonderful score by Peter Gabriel. Birdy is a great unsung gem of 1980s cinema, and is presented here in a brand-new, director-approved 2K restoration.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
- New 2K remaster supervised and approved by director Alan Parker
- Original stereo audio
- New and exclusive audio commentary with director Alan Parker and the BFI’s Justin Johnson
- Learning to Fly (2019): new and exclusive interview with screenwriters Jack Behr and Sandy Kroopf
- Keith Gordon on William Wharton (2019): the actor and filmmaker shares his experiences of adapting Wharton for the screen
- No Hard Feelings (1974): Alan Parker’s early film is an unsentimental view of wartime London through the eyes of a troubled young man
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Frank Collins, an overview of contemporary critical responses, archival articles, and film credits
- Limited Edition of 5,000 copies
- All extras subject to change
BBFC cert: 15