CHARLIE BUBBLES - LE
(Albert Finney, 1968)
Release date: 19 November 2018
Limited Blu-ray Edition (World Blu-ray premiere)
IF ANY CATALOG PRODUCT IS ORDERED WITH A NOVEMBER RELEASE IT WILL BE SHIPPED TOGETHER FOR THE NOVEMBER RELEASE DATE.
After achieving international renown as one of the finest actors of his generation in films such as Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) and Tom Jones (1963), Albert Finney turned director for this surreal comic twist on the ‘kitchen sink’ dramas in which he’d made his name.
Finney plays Charlie Bubbles, a successful writer suffering a mid-life crisis, who attempts to re-connect with his northern working-class roots and estranged family. Based on a screenplay by Shelagh Delaney (A Taste of Honey), the script clearly references both her and Finney’s personal experience of their shared working class origins (both were Salford natives), and the consequences of achieving great success.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• New and exclusive audio commentary with film historians Thirza Wakefield and Melanie Williams
• Danny Leigh on ‘Charlie Bubbles’ (2018): the journalist and broadcaster discusses one of his favourite films
• Interview with producer Michael Medwin (2018)
• Interview with Director of Photography Peter Suschitzky (2018)
• John Harding on Shelagh Delaney (2018): the author of Sweetly Sings Delaney: A Study of Shelagh Delaney's Work 1958-68 discusses the author's work on the film
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Thirza Wakefield, an overview of contemporary critical responses and historic articles on the film.
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
• All extras subject to change
BBFC cert: PG