BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE - BD
(Budd Boetticher, 1958)
Release date: 27 July 2020
Standard Edition Blu-ray
Budd Boetticher’s collaborations with star Randolph Scott are ostensibly small-scale B-movies, but are now revered as some of the finest adult westerns produced in that period.
Tom Buchanan (Scott) is a man returning to his Texas home, who rides into a feud between several members of the criminal Agry family. When he helps a young Mexican take revenge on one of them, Buchanan soon finds himself up against the whole Agry clan.
The most witty and comedic film in the ‘Ranown’ series, this absurdist twist on the western is one of Boetticher’s most thoroughly enjoyable films.
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- High Definition remaster
- Original mono audio
- The John Player Lecture with Budd Boetticher (1969, 74 mins): archival audio interview conducted by Horizons West author Jim Kitses at the National Film Theatre, London
- Kim Newman on the Ranown Cycle (2018, 29 mins): an appreciation and analysis by the critic and author of Wild West Movies
- Christopher Frayling on Budd Boetticher (2018, 20 mins): the renowned writer and cultural historian discusses the work of Budd Boetticher
- Taylor Hackford on ‘Buchanan Rides Alone’ (2009, 10 mins): the distinguished filmmaker examines Boetticher’s film
- Isolated music and effects track
- Original theatrical trailer
- Image gallery: promotional stills and publicity material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
BBFC cert: PG