THE COLLECTOR - BD
(William Wyler, 1965)
Release date: 27 April 2020
Standard Edition Blu-ray
The great Hollywood director William Wyler (Jezebel, Wuthering Heights, The Heiress, Ben-Hur) took John Fowles’ celebrated novel and turned it into one of the finest – and most controversial – psychological thrillers of the 1960s.
A lonely, unbalanced young butterfly collector (Terence Stamp, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Mind of Mr. Soames, Superman II) stalks and abducts a young art student (Samantha Eggar, Psyche 59, The Brood), keeping her imprisoned in a stone cellar as if she were one of his specimens.
Stamp and Eggar won Best Actor prizes for their roles at the 1965 Cannes Film Festival, and the film remains a surprising and often shocking depiction of psychotic obsession.
INDICATOR STANDARD EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES
- 2K restoration
- Original mono audio
- The Guardian Interview with William Wyler (1981, 83 mins): archival audio recording of the celebrated filmmaker in conversation with Adrian Turner at London’s National Film Theatre
- The Guardian Interview with Terence Stamp (1989, 92 mins): archival audio recording of the award-winning actor in conversation with Tony Sloman at the National Film Theatre
- Selected scenes commentary with author and film historian Neil Sinyard
- Angel to Devil (2018, 13 mins): new and exclusive interview in which Terence Stamp remembers working with Wyler
- Nothing But Death (2018, 16 mins): Award-winning actor Samantha Eggar recalls her work on the film in this new and exclusive interview
- The Look of Stardom (1965, 3 mins): promotional film about the casting of Samantha Eggar
- The Location Collector (2018, 8 mins): identifying the places where The Collector’s exteriors were filmed
- Richard Combs on ‘The Collector’ (2018, 9 mins): a new appreciation by the renowned critic, lecturer and broadcaster
- Original theatrical trailer
- Original teaser trailers
- Image gallery: promotional photography and publicity material
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
BBFC cert: 15