THIS ITEM IS IN STOCK AND SHIPS IMMEDIATELY.
(Jack Gold, 1973)
Release date: 28 August 2017
Limited Dual Format Edition (Blu-ray premiere / UK DVD premiere)
Jack Gold's film about life and death in a shabby London hospital interweaves the story of the real hospital with a fantasy one which exists in the soap-opera world of 'Nurse Norton's Affair', where everything is fully funded and patients are miraculously cured. A darkly funny satire on the state of the nation and also a deeply prescient comment on TV's ability to turn tragedy into entertainment, The National Health sits somewhere between the bawdy antics of the Carry On films and the angry satire of Lindsay Anderson’s Britannia Hospital, but emerges as a starkly prophetic film, more relevant now than ever.
Available for the first time ever in the UK.
INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• New audio commentary with actor Jim Dale and journalist Nick Pinkerton
• Back to Health (2017, 24 mins): a new interview with author and playwright Peter Nichols
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive 32-page booklet with a new essay by Laura Mayne, archival interviews, historical articles, and an overview of contemporary critical responses
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• UK DVD premiere
• Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies
BBFC cert: PG